COLE's Commitment to Defense, Safety, and Regulatory Excellence
As a trusted contractor for the United States Department of Defense, COLE's dedication extends beyond the scope of our projects. We are deeply committed to ensuring the safety, health, and well-being of our team, our partners, and the communities we serve. Our proactive safety program, the COLE Safety Approach, is a testament to our dedication to excellence, security, and regulatory compliance.
Four Pillars of the COLE Safety Approach:
- Communication: Open channels of communication between COLE team members, safety officers, subcontractors, and supervisors are vital. This ensures swift handling of suggestions and strategies for minimizing and eliminating work hazards.
- Training: Every COLE team member undergoes rigorous training to develop and maintain the skills required for safe work practices. This includes orientation to project objectives, project layout, and specific safety expectations set by both COLE and our clients.
- Motivation: We believe in rewarding safe practices. Regular motivation methods, such as appreciation lunches and ongoing merchandise/incentive awards, are employed to encourage adherence to safety protocols and proactive correction of onsite conditions.
- Monitoring: Our commitment to safety is evident in our regularly scheduled and surprise inspections. These inspections aim to identify and rectify potentially unsafe conditions promptly.
Key Features of Our Safety Program:
- COLE Safety Program Manual: Our continually updated Safety Guidelines serve as a comprehensive resource tool, ensuring the highest level of loss control. This manual is accessible to all employees.
- Hazard Management: We prioritize a safe work environment by preplanning, minimizing, and eliminating hazards. While certain hazards are unavoidable, we mitigate their effects through environmental controls, training, and the use of personal protective equipment.
- Chief Safety Officers: Our full-time Chief Safety Officers oversee our safety program, significantly reducing risks and ensuring compliance.
- Hazard Analysis: Before initiating any work activity, our foremen conduct a hazard analysis with their crew, discussing the safest methods to perform each task.
- Substance Abuse Policy: Our drug and alcohol testing ensures a safe environment, free from impaired individuals. We also offer support for those who may need professional counseling regarding substance abuse.
- New Employee Onboarding: All new employees undergo a comprehensive orientation. They are also paired with seasoned employees for mentorship, ensuring they are well-acquainted with our safety standards and practices.
Regulatory Partnerships and Adherence:
- Partnership with OSHA & NIOSH: COLE is proud to collaborate closely with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). These partnerships ensure that we stay abreast of the latest safety and health research, standards, and best practices. Our joint efforts with these esteemed organizations underscore our commitment to creating and maintaining the safest possible work environments.
- Adherence to EM 385-1-1: As a contractor for the Department of Defense, COLE strictly adheres to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' Safety and Health Requirements Manual, EM 385-1-1. This manual sets forth the safety and health standards for all Corps of Engineers activities and operations. Our unwavering commitment to these guidelines ensures the safety of our workers and the successful completion of our contracts with the DoD.
At COLE, safety isn't just a protocol—it's a culture. We believe that every individual, from our rookie recruit to our most experienced supervisor, plays a crucial role in upholding this culture. Our collaborations with regulatory bodies and our adherence to national and international standards demonstrate our unwavering commitment to excellence in safety and health.